Bachelor of Science in Midwifery Curriculum at the Hamlin College of Midwives
The Hamlin scholarship is like a dream come true. What impressed me most is that we don’t just study the academic part but are also trained to become ethically disciplined and practice compassionate and respectful maternal care.– Hanan, first year student at the Hamlin College of Midwives
Dr Catherine Hamlin saw prevention as the key to eradicating obstetric fistula. In 2007, she opened the Hamlin College of Midwives. Since then, 195 Hamlin Midwives have graduated and are making a significant impact in rural communities, reducing fistulas and providing quality maternal health care. There are another 95 women currently completing their Bachelor of Science in Midwifery degree at the College.
At the start of each year, the Hamlin College of Midwives recruits students from regional areas of Ethiopia to apply for a scholarship to study a Bachelor of Science in Midwifery degree.
To qualify, students must have:
- Completed a high school level of education
- Achieved high marks
- An interest in maternal health
In their first year, students learn:
- Foundations of midwifery
- Anatomy and physiology
- Basic nursing training
- English language skills
- Introduction to technologies
- Law and ethics in midwifery
- Basic mathematics for natural sciences
- Geography of Ethiopia and the Horn
In their second year, students focus on:
- Building practical clinical midwifery skills and first aid
- Medical and surgical care
- Microbiology and parasitology
- Communicable diseases
- Care of newborns
- Basic pharmacology
- Anthropology of Ethiopian societies and cultures
Second year students also attend practical clinical placements at Hamlin-supported midwifery clinics.
In their third year, students learn about:
- Management of complicated pregnancies
- Health education and promotion
- Global trends
Third year students also attend practical clinical placements at Hamlin-supported midwifery clinics.
In the final year of their degree, students focus on:
- Mental health care in midwifery practice
- Health service management and understanding ultrasound
- Individual research project
- Entrepreneurship and business development
- Environmental health and midwifery practice
- Advanced diagnostic skills
Fourth year students also complete a three-month placement at a Hamlin-supported midwifery clinic.
Click here to learn more about how Hamlin Midwives are saving lives and preventing fistula cases.