Since early on, it has been a tradition to give each patient a colourful hand-knitted blanket as part of their Comfort Package, upon arrival at a Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia hospital.
Hamlin blankets and Comfort Package are an important part of the Hamlin model of care and symbolic of the love and respect with which each fistula patient is embraced with once they reach a Hamlin hospital. Every blanket is made by volunteers.
Knit blankets for Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia patients at home, at school or with friends!
- Knit squares in garter stitch, double knitting acrylic yarn in bright colours, No.4mm (UK no.8) needles.
- Please use DK yarn. Please do not use a thicker ply as the blankets become too heavy.
- Knitted blankets are preferable to crochet as they tend to be warmer.
- Finish with a simple crocheted or blanket stitch border to strengthen.
- Knit a small blanket: 30 squares, each 20cm x 20cm, joined to make a blanket 100 x 120 cm approx (5 x 6 squares)
- Or knit a large blanket: 42 squares, each 20 x 20cm, joined to make a blanket 120 x 140cm approx (6 x 7 squares)
How it works
1. Create your blanket with the instructions above
2. Contact us at [email protected]
3. We’ll be in touch about how to get the blankets to us